The Northern Ontario Railroad Museum & Heritage Centre (NORMHC) is an incorporated non-profit organization focused on the preservation of historical artefacts that pay tribute to the heritage of northern Ontario and the history of the lumber, mining and railroading industries.
Admission Rates (inclusive)
|Seniors (55+)/ Students:||$13.50|
|Children 12 & under:||$8.00|
|Children 4 & under:||FREE|
|US Exchange $1.30|
Group Rates for 10+ visitors available. Please contact museum
Members (with cards) FREE Admission. Members also receive a 10% discount in our Gift Shop!
2020 Hours of Operation
As a result of the extended state of emergency declared in Ontario on April 14, 2020, the museum will remain closed and will reopen for the regular season when it is safe to do. We continue to monitor the situation and take our direction from public health authorities.
|Self Guided Tours:||
10am – 4pm
Approximately 90 mins.
|Off Season Visits Please Contact||Visits to the museum may be arranged if scheduling permits by calling (705)858-5050 or emailing email@example.com|
The museum house was constructed in 1916 and is one of the oldest surviving homes in the community. Many of its features including…VISIT THE MUSEUM
In 1967, Harold Prescott, then mayor of Capreol mayor, accepted from Canadian National Railways, the donation of an authentic…VISIT PRESCOTT PARK
The building has served as a multi-functional facility for decades acting as the town’s municipal offices, the police station…VISIT THE HERITAGE CENTRE
TRAIN SIMULATOR AT HERITAGE CENTRE
Learn to operate a locomotive on our simulator generously supported by Railsimulations. The simulator is in the Nels & Jean Marquis room bestowed by Tony and Jennifer Marquis.
The museum is operated by a volunteer board of directors. Funding comes from memberships, donations, grants and fundraising events.
Board of Directors
|President – Stu Thomas|
|Vice-President – Bob Michelutti|
|Treasurer – Mandy Rainville|
|Secretary– Fran Michelutti|
NORMHC Milestones and Accomplishments
|1967||Mayor Harold Prescott secures a “Mountain” type 6077 steam engine for display in Capreol. The space becomes known as Prescott Park.|
|1969||Caboose #77526 is donated to Prescott Park by Canadian National Railways.|
|1982||A Heritage Committee is formed by a small group of volunteers eager to preserve the history of the town. They start collecting newspaper clippings and as much information as possible.|
|1983||The Heritage Committee attempts to obtain a School Car but are given a Rules Instruction Car. The car is displayed as a school car.|
|1993||The Northern Ontario Railroad Museum & Heritage Centre (NORMHC) is incorporated as a non-profit organization with it’s own Board of Directors.
Prescott Park is donated to NORMHC by the Town of Capreol.
The Town of Capreol celebrates it’s 75th Anniversary.
|1994 – 1995||During the months of July and August, the caboose is open to the public with a display of railroad memorabilia.|
|1997||The house at 26 Bloor Street, formerly the home of the first CN Superintendent in Capreol, is purchased by the Town of Capreol to be used by NORMHC as a Museum.|
|1998||Grand opening of the Museum House in July.|
|2001||The arched gateway at the museum’s street-front is constructed.
The museum house is designated a heritage site.
|2002||Science North donates the slag pot car to NORMHC.|
|2004||NORMHC completes its feasibility study on the museum’s expansion plans.|
|2005||The NORMHC Foundation is incorporated to provide financial support for the museum.|
|2006||The museum lays new rail in preparation of the arrival of new rolling stock.|
|2007||Prescott Park becomes home to INCO Electrics 101 and 116 as well as former CNR Snow Plow #55208, steel caboose #79231 and baggage/warehouse car #60049.
NORMHC completes the restoration of its rules instruction car.
|2008||The museum, with assistance from the Prescott family and several community volunteers, repaints CN steam-locomotive #6077.
Capreol is inducted into the Canadian Railway Hall of Fame.
|2009||The museum opens its boxcar home exhibit.
NORMHC hosts its first ever gold panning event on the Vermilion River.
The museum completes its strategic plan.
|2010||The museum opens its section man shed showcasing a variety of maintenance of way equipment.|
|2011||NORMHC opens its new mining exhibit with the arrival of a hot metal car from Vale. The display also incorporates a variety of underground railroad equipment used in Falconbridge/Xtrata operations.
The museum completes its Garden of Life to help promote and raise awareness for organ and tissue donation. New wrought iron perimeter fencing is also erected to protect the garden and enhance the look of the property.
The Terror Train 6077 Halloween Event launches for the first time.
|2012||The museum acquires a 1907 steam locomotive (#219) originally belonging to the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway.
The museum acquires the former Capreol Fire Hall and Town Centre as an annex to the existing museum, to act as its Heritage Centre. The new building houses displays related to the regions social history as well as a 1929 Bickle Fire Engine.
NORMHC constructs a G Scale train layout in the Garden of Life.
|2013||The museum adds a locomotive themed playground to Prescott Park.
With the help of Hite Services, the museum restores the historic nose cone on steam locomotive #6077.
In cooperation with the Capreol Community Action Network and the Capreol Business Association, the museum begins a significant re-greening project throughout downtown Capreol. The project was made possible with funding from CN EcoConnexions, Day Construction, the City of Greater Sudbury (Dave Kilgour) and the Capreol Lions Club.
Hite Services donates former CNR crane #50392 for display in Prescott Park.
|2014||NORMHC welcomes former Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railways steam locomotive #219 to Prescott Park on April 8th.
With funding from the Enabling Accessibility Fund, the Sudbury Community Foundation and the Healthy Communities Initiatives Fund, walkways and a wheelchair ramp are constructed through Prescott Park and into the museum house improving accessibility for visitors.
Downtown re-greening project is completed and Capreol captures two awards from Communities in Bloom for Community Involvement and Heritage Conservation.
The museum acquires a 1955 Dodge Town Panel for the recreation of Capreol’s first police vehicle, a “paddy wagon.”
NORMHC receives a 2014 Community Award from Greater Sudbury Emergency Services.
|2015||A new cab is fabricated by Hite Services for T&NO steam locomotive #219.
The original jail cells at the Capreol Fire Hall, now the museum’s Heritage Centre, are opened to the public for viewing.
Vale donates a wooden pump car for display.
Volunteers complete a railway themed mural on site with funding from Project Impact.
|2016||The museum begins construction on its new model train layout and forms a partnership to become the new clubhouse for the Sudbury Railway Modellers.
A new permanent sports display is unveiled at the Heritage Centre location in time for the museum’s May opening.
Canadian Pacific Railways donates a miniature ride-on train to the museum for special events.
The museum completes the restoration of retired INCO Hot Copper Car #5 thanks to a significant donation from Atlas Copco Canada and the support of numerous local businesses.
The museum celebrates the 100th anniversary of the museum house, originally constructed in 1916.
Capreol captures a provincial award through Communities in Bloom for Youth Involvement with the Terror Train 6077 event.
|2017||Museum partners with the Capreol Volunteer Firefighters Association to acquire former Capreol Pumper No.4, a 1986 Ford Superior, recently retired from service with Greater Sudbury Fire Services. The cab is salvaged to create an interactive exhibit for visitors.|